Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Shabbat by the Sea

Day 3:
The view here at Ohalo is amazing. I started the day with group yoga on the lawn. The sun was shining and the breeze was perfect. We meditated while staring at the beautiful mountains lining the Kinneret. I was excited to hear Ma-tov-vu, my favorite prayer since I was in Hebrew school many many years ago. After a fruitful lunch, everyone put on their summer clothes and played throughout Ohalo. There was an ultimate Frisbee game in the field next to a group of boys passing a football. Everyone was smiling and laughing and taking pictures. My close friend had family visit: her Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and little cousins. It was heartwarming to see how happy their family was to be reunited after such a long time apart. After lunch, we went on a nature walk to a cemetery close to the Kibbutz. Although it is unlike Jews to visit a cemetery on Shabbot, it was ok because we were celebrating the life of well known Zionists who were buried there. After deciding the walk we took was not full of as much nature as we expected, a couple of friends and I ventured away from the group and walked along the beach. The view along the shore was positively surreal. My friends seemed annoyed at the fact that every other sentence out of my mouth was “Oh my God, we’re in ISRAEL! Do you see what I see? Oh my God…” We stood at the end of a pier in the middle of the Kinneret. I was surrounded by beautiful water, tree covered mountains, millions of birds, and a couple close friends. It was all I needed. This was honestly the most peaceful, restful, and BEAUTIFUL Sabbath I have ever experienced. No Shabbot will ever be the same.
By the way, hearing “Shabbot Shalom” as you pass by every single person you see is a beautiful thing.
Shabbot Shalom everyone,
Jordan [Jackson]
p.s. Uncle Wayne, I did this for you. And don’t get mad at my grammar. I love you!

No comments: