Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Shabbat Begins


Virginia Tech represented as we volunteered to lead the Birthright trips in prayers over lighting the Shabbat candles as well as the blessing over the wine and ha-motzey. Everyone had the chance to light their own Shabbat candles, and for many it was their very first time. We chose from two service options and a discussion about what Shabbat means to you. I chose to go to the conservative Kabalat Shabbat services because it had been a very long time since I had attended one. It was special to me to have shared it with a lifelong friend and the new ones I have made on our journey. The room filled with our voices as we all came together and sang aloud, and those familiar sounds helped to sink in that I was celebrating the Shabbat with my peers (something I don’t do very often anymore). I was reminded how good it felt to sing those psalms and mentally prepare yourself for receiving Shabbat. Dinner was an amazing feast of a vast arrangement of Mediterranean cuisine and everyone ate to their hearts’ content. After dinner it was a sight to see all the different schools sing together different Shabbat and Jewish songs. It was a good feeling to know that no matter where we came from or what different Jewish experiences we have had in our lives that we are able to come together as a Jewish community and embrace the holiday of Shabbat in solidarity and happiness. I would definitely say that this erev Shabbat was one experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life. It was almost too surreal to believe that we had finally arrived and received this holiday in our home land. I felt empowered as a Jew to know that we were doing something that our ancestors prayed for and we were able to live out their dreams.
Shalom and I’ll be home too soon,
Shayna
(just a quick hello to my family- I love and miss you!)

No comments: