Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mysticism of Safed

Day 4:
Today we traveled to the old and historic town of Safed in Northern, Higher Galilee. Already before reaching the city winding through the rising hills surrounded by the fading mist of morning one is struck by the aura of the Israeli frontier and the idea of mysticism that was to be the defining point of the day. Upon reaching Safed I was struck by the remote beauty and the sheer vastness of the valley spreading beneath the town, a beautiful rainbow spreading across it as if to herald the rest of the unfolding day. We went to two ancient synagogues and perused the art section of the city, browsing through the shops and developing a sense of the essence and spirit of the old town. We discussed the idea of mysticism pervading throughout our Jewish history and heritage which truly struck home while sitting inside the beautifully sculpted and designed synagogues. On the way through the town’s art shops and stores I was drawn into one small room by a religious man named Avram and he showed me how to put on the tefillin and say the appropriate prayer. After doing it I was struck with both sadness and nostalgia, a sadness when I realized how long it had been since I had put tefillin on as well as a nostalgia for my days back in Hebrew school where I had learned and first taken part in this custom. I realized that what I was feeling was something I hadn’t felt in a long time, a complete comfort and satisfaction with being Jewish that I haven’t felt since before high school and certainly not in college. I don’t know if it was the atmosphere or the kindness of the man that affected me most but for the first time in such a long time I felt like I had completely reconnected with my Jewish roots. I sent a picture of myself in the tefillin to my father, and as the rain came down walked back to the bus through the quiet streets I think I understood the message of the mysticism of Israel and our heritage.
Guy Topaz
- Also I was constantly informed by all that I have a very Israeli name…go figure

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please keep those blogs and pictures coming. Love hearing about all of the VT adventures.
Lisa Sokol (Josh Miller Mom)