Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

Alex Weaver writes about Argentina and serving others

Throughout my backpacking trip in Central America, I was amazed by several things. First, the lives these people led were simple but happy because they appreciated the people around them rather than the material things. Second, the people in Central America were so happy and overwhelmed by us fixing their homes, playing soccer and drawing with their children, cleaning up their village and our fascination with their culture.
I hope to make the same difference in South America when I visit Argentina with Hillel. After seeing the effect community service has on lesser developed areas firsthand, being able to travel to Argentina and work with children while fixing their schools, I know the long-term effect will last past my old age as generations will continue to perform the same service. After graduating next spring, I hope to join the Peace Corp and the service I will be doing in Argentina will make a huge impact on my skills working with other cultures and improving their lives. Thus,the trip to Argentina won't just make me a better person and help me serve the Jewish community to the best of my ability, it will change the lives of these children that we are helping so that in turn they can do the same thing for others.

No comments: