Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Returning Home

by Josh Spodick (notes) Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 10:49am

40 Students
8 Israeli Soldiers
1 Guard / Medic
1 Tour Guide
2 Staff Members
1 Bus (with an extra spare tire)
Countless unforgettable experiences

A bunch of best friends in a home that is always welcoming

----------------------------------------------------------

Upon returning to the U.S. after an incredibly long flight; after going through customs; after finding all the people in the group; after sorrowful goodbyes around the luggage carousel filled with promises of road trips to see each other soon; after stopping for breakfast on the way home; after giving gifts to my parents; after going through all of the pictures with them; I laid down in bed with the intention to take a nap after 10 days of sleep deprivation. I found myself unable to fall asleep despite the exhaustion. I was left with a feeling in my chest. It was an odd feeling. A hole; a vacancy that was difficult to fill. What could it be? Of course I’m sad it’s over, and I truly hope to remain close with everyone on my bus, but why do i feel this way now? Why is the absence of the group so overwhelming? Why can’t my exhaustion overcome the sorrow and just let me fall asleep and dream as if I were back? All of the people on the trip that I met have touched me in a way not easy to do. The collective experience we all shared is one that will live with me through to the chapter eternal. I now know the true price of this “free trip”. It comes with the cost of this vacancy; this longing to return to Israel with all of my new found close friends.

No comments: