Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Last night in Israel

It has been our honor to be a part of your children's (and friend's) first experience in Israel. This trip has certainly changed their lives and, as this was the beginning of a personal journey for them, we can't wait to see where it leads.

Maxine and Dana


Shalom everyone!!

With only one day left of traveling around this beautiful and historical land, I can honestly say this has been the most amazing experience of my life. I know all of you at home are probably wondering what is going on over here so let me just set the scene for you for a second. For the past 9 days, 48 of us have been traveling around on a tour bus..from 7 am to late hours of the night. We are all together constantly and I am so thankful to have made so many best friends on this trip that I will be able to carry on relationships with even after we leave Israel. We have visited the most amazing sites I have ever seen and I am sure that all of your sons and daughters will have a million pictures to show you upon their return ( Don’t worry ma, you know I do). I have two experiences that I feel for me stand out above the others. First, the feelings that I felt upson visiting the Western Wall in Jerusalem. It was an unbelieveable feeling being there, knowing that so many of our ancestors had been there. The emotions that I felt during the duration of our visit were unlike anything I could have imagined. The second was our swim in the Dead Sea. While I have never been so cut up from swimming in a pool of water before, the feeling of lying back and having no control over your body floating was unbelievable. Oh, yeah, and the mud wrestling was cool too (haha). Anyways, just a short briefing of my experience. There is simply just too much to tell but I must go for now. Only 2 more days until you get to see us again! It is getting close, no worries☺

Lots of love,
Jen Libbares
Virginia Tech ‘10


In the midst of the NFL playoffs, the VT Chokies upstting loss to the putrid Jayhawks, the stresses of a new semester at school and the new year being rung in, stepping off the airplane on January 4th and leaving all that behind was easier than I thought. The fact that we don’t even know the day or even the time of day back in the States might have something to do with it, but the sights, sounds, smells and everything else in the land of Israel is surreal. With all the craziness in the world today, specifically the Middle East, I never thought I would make the journey, but this was the year that my darling mother’s nagging and persistence finally paid off and she was able to persuade me to go and I’m so glad she did. There are so many amazing places that we have visited and sights that have touched us all.
This trip has not only allowed me to make 46 new jewish friends, but the amazing feelings and emotions associated with the sites and lectures have made me think twice about a lot of the things I take for granted and the life I live in the good old US of A.
I love to travel and it is something I plan on continuing the rest of my life. In one year I have visited the highest elevation on earth (Mt. Kileakahaahhaha or something of that sort), and now I can add the lowest place on earth to that. The only difference is that Israel feels more like home for some odd reason. Maybe because everybody here is Jewish and has a spicy haircut with curly hair, but the overall feeling all over the country makes me think some crazy thoughts I have never thought before. I have enjoyed my nine or ten days here, whatever it has been so far, and it is not because our TV’s only two channels are in Hebrew and I can’t watch MTV or sports, it is because this place has an aura surrounding it that touches everyone that visits it, even a bunch of college kids from all around the lovely state of Virginia. There’s a lot more that I would love to add now but I’m gonna go run and try and catch the Chargers game. I’m sure you all will hear it from my mom anyways, because we all know she LOVES to talk.

Post Script:
Thanks to all the parents for allowing their little hooligans to make this journey and to all the Jews of the 20th centrury that made this trip possible. It is one experience I will never forgot. L’Hitraot and see you soon!

Later,
Zak A. Kurtz
Roanoke College ‘07 and Boston U ‘07

No comments: